I’m a day late posting this training plan, but oh well. Yesterday was a holiday, and we really don’t do much on holidays around here truthfully. We usually use them to clean up around the house, have family dinner, and watch TV/read a book/relax, etc. So, honestly, Buster and I didn’t do any training yesterday, and that’s okay. It’s okay to have total lazy days once in awhile.
But, let me recap on last week.
- Last Sunday, our hiking plans fell apart. We couldn’t find a new trail I was trying to find, so we walked in our usual spot. Buster played in the river and acted like a full-blown retriever as he kept fetching a stick in the water and bringing it back. Our walk was cut short when he found the world’s largest Copperhead (thankfully, it was asleep), and a baby fawn was taunting him.
- His outting of his tug toy as a reward is getting much better. (I know it’s probably hard for you to believe, but Buster has a death grip on toys and is also a very bitey and aggressive resource guarder. So this transition to toy rewards we are making is an interesting, challenging road we’re going down.)
- He let me seriously Dremel several nails on both front feet!
- His position changes are pretty solidly on cue, but we need to work on holding and maintaining them.
- We definitely need to work on conditioning and strengthening more this week.
So, last week was a crappy week, but I still got a fair amount accomplished, and still managed to work with Buster for at least 5 minutes a day. I also realized that I had listed 3-4 objectives under each day, and I think that is actually too much. This work, I’m going to try to work on 1-2 things in a day per training session and see how that goes. I am all about quality over quantity, and I think it will help both of us if we narrow our focus.
So, here’s our plan for this week.
|DAY||Monday, 9/4||Tuesday, 9/5||Wednesday, 9/6||Thursday, 9/7||Friday, 9/8||Saturday, 9/9||Sunday, 9/10|
|PLAN||-It's a holiday... We slept and ate...||-Relax mat||-Backing up |
-Stand & stand stay
|-Training Club: heeling, left turn heeling, tug||-Tug toy (play & out)||-Hike with new video camera||- Training Club|
What kinds of things are you working on or training this week? Or, are you in an area with bad weather and just working on staying sane? (If you are – I’m sorry, and I’m sending you good vibes!)